Friday 15 October 2010

Mentioned in the Scottish Parliament

As we said in previous posts, our exhibition and book launch was opened by Malcolm Chisholm, MSP. He mentioned us in a speech he made at the Scottish Parliament on the 29th of February, on a debate on the "see me" anti-stigma campaign.
I have a particular interest in the matter this week because, on Friday, "Oor Mad History: A Community History of the Lothian Mental Health Service User Movement" is being launched in my constituency. I was honoured to be asked to write a foreword and I will speak at the launch. I am certainly aware from the work that people have done in Lothian that significant progress has been made on the wider front in relation to respecting people with mental health problems. It is appropriate to mention that and to see the see me campaign as part of a wider movement for change and improvement.
The Service User Movement in Lothians was first mentioned in the Scottish Parliament during the campaign for what we still call the new Mental Health Act: The Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act (2003) which became law in 2005. 

No comments: